At any construction site, a drinking water bottle or container has become one of our best friend. You can notice that almost 60 - 80% of the workers at construction site are carrying a drinking water bottle with them.
But there is one unsafe practice or issue is going at site and it's still happening up to now. This is when a certain worker will use a drinking water bottle for another purpose and then another worker with the same bottle will use it for drinking.
One scenario is that a liquid chemical or thinner (which its physical appearance is almost the same of water) was filled in a drinking water bottle and by mistakenly a certain worker without his/her knowledge that the liquid inside the bottle is a thinner, will consumed it or use for drinking. This example scenario is very common incident happening at construction site.
HOW TO STOP OR PREVENT THIS UNSAFE PRACTICE?
- All liquid chemicals must be kept or stored on their respective containers.
- If it was used with another container, provide a proper identification label. Do not keep the liquid chemicals on an unlabeled containers.
- Do not use drinking bottles for any other purposes.
- Assigned a trained or competent person at site to monitor and control hazardous chemical substances.
- Conduct toolbox talks and communicate to all workforce on this regard.
Following this five (5) basic good practice, will eliminate the issue of chemicals in drinking water bottles.