Friday, September 6, 2013

INJURY FROM ELECTRICAL ARC FLASH

A welder cum fabricator was attempting to plug a twist-lock plug & socket ends extension cord from a 240V, 3 PH disconnect to a welding machine. The plug and cable were both large and the welder/fabricator held the plug and socket ends level at his waist to make the necessary connection. When the connection was made two of the conductors inside the connector got short circuit and cause an arc flash, burning the welder's abdomen (a second degree burn). At the time of the incident the welder was not wearing his PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) properly; the external button-up shirt was completely unbuttoned and shirt-tail out.


PREVENTIVE MEASURES:
  1. All required PPE's must be worn correctly at all times while in the working area.
  2. Inspect all equipment cords, plugs & sockets, electrical components at least monthly and daily before each use.
  3. Evaluate each facility and other related equipment to assess the requirement for hard wiring equipment where temporary wiring is unacceptable to meet the manufacturer's specifications.
  4. Establish a list of qualified and authorized users for each unit/equipment.
  5. Replace all Hubbell Twist-to-lock plug & socket connectors with properly sized and non-conductive connectors. It shall be performed only by a qualified electrician.
  6. Provide instruction to all authorized users of equipment that all electrical connections must be made with the power "SWITCH OFF" or power source to be LOCKED OUT.




No comments:

Post a Comment