Last week, while I was conducting a site visit, one of the construction sites, I saw two mechanics greasing the JCB loader/Excavator with its body raised from the ground (See Photo Below).
Further observation, the heavy equipment was supported only with two jacks and its loader bucket while one of the mechanics was under the JCB body greasing the under chassis and the other was on his side giving assistance. Apparently this is a very high risk and critical activity. I would say that the two mechanics were just very lucky that nothing happens to them.
- Failure to provide competent supervision.
- Failure to provide appropriate and safe work system for such critical activities.
CORRECTIVE MEASURE TO BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY
- Stopped the activities immediately and conduct tool box talks (TBT) to the two mechanics.
- Note that TBT shoud be done prior to start the work, either in workshop area or at construction site.
- Field maintenance procedure must be developed.
- Greasing activities of under chassis parts should be done and included in the maintenance schedule of equipment and to be conducted in the workshop where under chassis pits are available.
- In case under chassis works could not be avoided, fabricated vehicle ramps are to be provided and acceptable at site.