It was observed that the worker on this photo was plastering a diaphragm wall using a man basket at an elevation of 6 meters above ground level without any fall protection or full body harness. There was no proper safety measures at all. This unsafe practice must be STOPPED immediately.
Separate anchoring sling arrangement from the main crane rope or from the crane hook block support shall be used by the people using the man basket. People inside the man basket should wear the full body harness (mandatory) and tie the lanyards to the separate anchoring sling. In the event of failure of any sling attached to the lifting man basket or any defect in the crane hook, a safety measure is to secure the person to the crane independently to prevent fall from height of the person with the cage.
- Foreman's must coordinate with the safety team to conduct toolbox talks and implement proper safety measures before starting work.
- Operations Team must coordinate properly with the Safety Department for any work at height and other work process which requires Safety Assessment.
- Safe work procedures must put into practice to prevent any dangerous occurrences with full cooperation of Operations & Safety Teams.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF THIS HAPPENS TO ONE OF YOUR SITES?
"Don't Walk-By, Take Immediate Actions":
- Work must be stopped immediately and provide a new man-lift with door.
- Instruct the charge hand or foreman to provide and let the worker use the full body harness.
- Warning letter must be given to the responsible person and Non-Compliance will result in disciplinary action.
- Any work at height that is above 2 m from ground level, wearing fall protection is mandatory as this is stated in all HSE Plan, Rules and Regulations.
- Man basket must be built and tested every 6 months with thorough inspection.
- Side walls must be minimum of 910mm high and there must be a gate with a lockable latch in the opening.
- There must be a labeling attached on man-lift advising the maximum load and safety instructions for use.
- Ensure that the slings used are exclusive to the man-lift operations only to prevent deterioration.
- Slings, chains, cables to be used are to be inspected at the time of man-lift operation.